When I heard that Rix were holding a competition and the ingredient I needed to use was strawberries, I had to enter. I love to bake with strawberries in the summer months!
Rix have some great recipes for Aga cookers here.
The cake I decided to make contains Greek yoghurt which keeps it lovely and moist and gives it that delicate flavour. I added vanilla extract and lemon zest to enhance it further.
90 g butter or margarine
125 g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
150 g self-raising flour
85 g Greek yoghurt
Zest of a lemon
1. Cream the butter or margarine with the sugar until fluffy.
2. Break in the eggs and mix well.
3. Add the vanilla extract and mix.
4. Add half the flour, and mix in. Then add half the yoghurt and mix in.
5. Repeat with the rest of the flour, and the rest of the yoghurt.
6. Grate in the lemon zest and combine.
7. Pour the cake batter into a greased deep 8 inch tin.
8. Slice the strawberries and arrange in a flower pattern, with the seeds facing upwards.
9. Bake for 25-30 mins at 180 degrees (fan oven) until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
10. Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn the cake out and cool on a rack.